Like I've said before, the decison to homeschool your children is a very personal one. Everyone needs to do their own research, look into their state's laws, and most importantly consider what's best for their children.
Here are my personal reasons for homeschooling my own child:
1) She gets a better education at home - I've witnessed first hand how schools are lowering their standards to cater to low achieving students; public schools are way too concerned with standardized test scores; public schools stifle kids imagination; kids are taught to blindly accept what they are being taught, instead of questioning and exploring the subjects
2) We work at her pace, which usually is faster than a public school - I noticed that a lot of time spent at school is wasted. Kids usually spend about 6 hours at school, at home, we can get the work done in half the time.
3) Learning is personalized - Homeschooled kids can explore their interests much more freely. They can delve deeper into subjects they are interested in, instead of just superficially as in school.
4) Flexibility - I love being able to make our own schedule according to the day. Sometimes we want to sleep in and we will start school late, then we'll just work a little longer too. If it's a nice day we will do a lesson in the park or library.
5) I get to spend more time with my child - This was a big one for me. We have only so much time before our kids grow up and go live their own lives. I want to spend as much time with my kids right now as I can.
I'm sure there are almost as many reasons for homeschooling as there are people actually doing it. These are just my reasons. It was with these five points in mind, that I decided homeschooling was the best choice for us right now.
I hope I can help other moms out there who are considering the homeschooling option. I'll be happy to answer any questions as best as I can. I'd love to hear from other moms.
What are your reasons for homeschooling?