NavAO

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lesson Planning for Homeschool


As a homeschool mom with very little support in my town or immediate area, I've had to come up with a lot of my lessons completely on my own. The bright side is, as an English teacher, lesson planning is something I am very familiar with. In my twenties I also taught ESL-English as a Second Language to teens and adults. While adults are very motivated to learn, after all, they are in the classroom of their own accord. Adults chose to be there, they paid for the lessons. So they have the most interest in getting all they can out of the classes. Teens, on the other hand, are there because their parents made them, and of course, paid for the classes. Teens are much less motivated to learn. So I had to be really creative when I taught kids and teens. It led me to come up with games and activities around lessons I was trying to get across. We even had competitions, races, anything that got the kids involved and out of their seats.

Now, many years later, I have taken this homeschooling journey with my own child. It's been incredible to far. I've learned as much as I've taught. I know that my daughter is a very active child and doesn't like to sit for long periods of time. I also know that she responds better when she thinks she's playing. She'll actually ask to do these activities over and over, thus retaining more than with traditional methods.

To that end, I've created games and activities to help with certain topics. I like to have an activity for every topic we do, so as we proceed with the school year, I will have more and more of these lessons and ideas to share with you.

I will include free printables to help you in your own lesson planning. I hope you and your homeschool children love and enjoy these activities as much as I did coming up with them. My daughter certainly loved these, especially because she responds much better to "fun learning". In other words, any activity that doesn't feel like work. I have found that she retains what she's learned much better as well.

Once the printables are up, feel free to print whatever you like. Please refer to my terms for using my printables.

-Printables may not be used on any website or blog (you may refer to them with a link to my website on your own blog or website)
-Printables are protected by copyright as they are my original materials
-Printables may be copied or printed for personal use, but may not be sold or distributed in any way
-They may not be altered in anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin