NavAO

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Tree Mosaic Arts and Crafts Project

As a homeschool mom, I am always looking for project ideas to do with my 1st grader. Arts and crafts projects serve several purposes. They can be educational, just for fun, or even to break up the monotony of the day sometimes.
I like to do projects with a purpose. Since we are going to be celebrating Christmas soon, I thought it would be fun to do a Christmas related project. We started by talking about decorating our Christmas tree and what kind of things we use to decorate our tree. Then we read a Christmas book. We finished off by doing our mosaic arts and crafts project. This was just a simple project I came up with to tie in our art class with the season. I had used this idea previously for other projects and it worked wonderfully.
It was really simple to do and my daughter and I had lots of fun doing it.
Here's what you need to make this project and instructions.
Materials needed:
1 piece of black construction paper
Elmer's glue
Paint swatches in green, brown, red, and yellow colors (I got mine from a home improvement store)
I made a free-hand outline of a Christmas tree on the construction paper. Then I cut out random pieces of the paint swatches, in different sizes and different tones of green (for the tree) and brown (for the trunk). I also cut out free hand circles of red for ornaments. And finally I cut out a yellow star.
My daughter then used glue to put the pieces of "mosaic" colors on the tree. After she did the green and brown, she glued red ornaments (we did some purple ones too, since purple is her favorite color).
Tip: Using different tones of the same color (in this case green) gives the mosaic a nice texture and interesting look.
Here's a picture of the project as we started and the finished mosaic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin