NavAO

Monday, July 2, 2012

Body Paint Art!!

Every summer we try to do something innovative and fun with our art projects. Last year, on a hot summer day, I taped large pieces of paper to the side of the house and let the kids go crazy painting.  They splashed paint everywhere. It was so much fun! I was power washing the siding for a while afterwards.

This year, I had a different idea. I don't know how I thought of it, but it just seemed like something fun to do. 

Since the girls liked splashing paint last year and it was 90 degrees outside, I told the girls we were going to do Body Art. They looked at me as if I were nuts. Once I explained my idea, they were totally on board and loved it! Yes, I let the kids paint themselves! 

I know...I know, many of you will think I'm out of my mind (just think of the mess!). I thought that too! But then I thought: what could be more fun than using your creativity to paint your own body? We're always teaching our kids self control and moderation, and to follow rules. How often do we let them just be kids and completely carefee? So I just let them go for it. 

They put on bathing suits, I set up paint in a tray in our backyard, and let them at it. There were only two rules: don't paint mom and don't paint the dogs.

Guess what? By the end of this activity mom and the dogs were painted. Paint on mom was intentional, on the dogs it was accidental and only a couple of drips. 

They started out cautiously. I was surprised. A paint stroke here, another there. All very neat and orderly. I think they weren't sure if this was really ok. As they got into it, they started to mix colors, make designs and really let go of their hesitation. They painted with abandon!

This is the result and I couldn't be happier. When they finished their body art, I hosed down both girls. It was a refreshing finish to our activity in such a hot, hot day.




Happy Homeschooling Adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun...& I'm sure they had a blast!
    Visiting from the moms mingle party...hope you'll stop over
    Rhiannon at http://beingmomme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting paintings and also so fun...The baby look so cute..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin