NavAO

Monday, June 11, 2012

1st Grade Word Wall Activity - Words out of a Hat





As part of our homeschool day, Buttercup and I work on vocabulary building using a Word Wall. Every week, I give her 12 new words. On Mondays, I introduce the words by doing a word bingo activity that I have pre-printed. It's a great way to start the week! After word bingo, I write the words on index cards and Buttercup pins the words on our Word Wall. We practice the words throughout the week in different ways. For all of our activities click here

Ideas for working with Word Wall words

One of Buttercup's favorite Word Wall activities is Words out of a Hat. I came up with this activity to give Buttercup opportunities to practice recognizing parts of a sentence and to practice defining words.

Words out of a Hat is comprised of 6 cards. Each card contains instructions such as "Name a word that is a noun". I fold the cards and place them in a hat and Buttercup randomly picks a card. She then reads the card out loud and completes the task using a word from the Word Wall. We play this game for a few rounds a couple of times a week. The goal is to go through all of the cards at least once. Buttercup loves this game, so we actually wind up going through the cards a few times and she will usually not repeat words within a single category.


Print it free here Words out of a Hat


Ideas for working with Word Wall words

How do you get your week started and what are some of the activities you do to practice new vocabulary? Leave a comment.

Happy Homeschooling Adventures!

1 comment:

  1. This is great and makes me wish that I homeschooled from the beginning...I wanted to, but gave in to doing things the way that was expected.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin