NavAO

Friday, October 19, 2012

Chalkboard paint rocks!!

I live in an old house. There is definitely charm to some of the original features like the wood trim around doors and windows. But anyone who lives in a really old house knows that some of the materials used back then are just not that nice. In my house it's the doors. They are a dark, cheap looking wood. They are also super thin. I hate them. I wish I could change them all, but that would be way too expensive and totally not worth it.

Well, I see all kinds of projects with chalkboard paint on the internet, especially on Pinterest. Of course, I can't chalkboard paint everydoor in my house, that would look horrendous. But I did come up with a way to spruce up one door; the pantry door.

I purchase a small can of chalkboard paint and the other materials I would need. I taped the area of the door that I would be painting. I should have put a coat of primer, but if you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that I am not very patient at all, so I skipped the primer.

I put on 3 coats of chalkboard paint, letting each coat dry for about 2 hours. That was torture for me, let me tell you.

The next day, once the paint was nice and dry, I peeled off the tape. The back of the paint can says to wait 72 hours before writing on it. Thankfully, I did not have any chalk at home so I was forced to wait.
Ugly door!
 
Attention to detail.

Finished door.
All in all, I am very pleased with the turn out. The door is till kind of ugly but now the focus is more on the chalkboard, less on the ugliness! And it's great to write notes on!


1 comment:

LinkWithin